Did You Know?
- That, as of the first quarter 2011, the combined net assets of U.S. variable annuities were valued at nearly $1.6 trillion, an 11% increase from first quarter 2010 and the highest level ever recorded?
- In 2010 fixed annuity assets were valued at $659 billion a 6% increase from 2009?
- That in 2010, the total average expense difference between variable annuities and mutual funds was 1.01%?
- In 2011, the contribution limits range from $5,000-$6,000 for an IRA, $16,500-$22,000 for a 401(k) and $200,000 plus for a non-qualified annuity?
- That the average number of funds per variable annuity contract was 50 in 2010, of which 47% of assets were invested in equities, 11% in bonds, and 20% in fixed-rate accounts?
- That the guaranteed lifetime withdrawal benefit was offered on 79% of variable annuities in 2011 and was elected by 65% of contract holders?
- Boomers who own annuities have a higher confidence in retirement expectations, with 92% believing they are doing a good job in preparing for retirement?
Tools to Assist in Your Retirement Investment Decisions
Retirement Planning Resources
To assist Americans in their retirement planning efforts, IRI has assembled a selection of valuable online retirement planning resources. These resources include retirement data, practical retirement planning guidelines and other useful consumer information.
- Top Ten Ways to Prepare for Retirement
- Maximizing Your Tax Advantages of Retirement Savings
- Life Changes Checklist
- Selecting a Financial Advisor
- Evaluating the Qualifications of the Broker or Financial Advisor
- Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) Checklist
- Best Practices When Approaching Financial Planning
- Retirement Income Guide