About the Insured Retirement Institute
The Insured Retirement Institute (IRI) has been called the “primary trade association for annuities” by U.S. News and World Report and “The industry's main trade group” by National Underwriter. IRI has quickly become the go-to source for the media and a trusted supplier of high-quality research, neutral FINRA Reviewed materials, discounted continuing education and much more. We are the only association that represents the entire supply chain of the insured retirement income industry: our members are the major insurers, broker-dealers, banks, asset managers, financial advisors and industry solution providers.
IRI is a not-for-profit organization that brings together the interests of the insured retirement income industry, financial advisors and consumers under one umbrella. IRI works tirelessly to promote consumer confidence in the value and viability of insured retirement strategies and as a respected resource for financial advisors. IRI membership is designed to give you a competitive edge. Our official mission is to: encourage industry adherence to highest ethical principles; promote better understanding of the insured retirement value proposition; develop and promote best practice standards to improve value delivery; and to advocate before public policy makers on critical issues affecting insured retirement strategies.
Thinking about membership?
You are not alone! IRI has grown its membership to include more than 100,000+ financial advisors and added many new member companies in the past year. Our newest members have given us feedback that they believe IRI resources, such as our new members only website and FINRA Reviewed materials, will help them “grow their business.”
Under the leadership of former Oklahoma Insurance Commissioner and National Association of Insurance Commissioners CEO, IRI President Cathy Weatherford, IRI has become a:
- Leading Voice to Financial Advisors- speaking directly to nearly half a million Financial Advisors;
- Leader in Research and Thought Leadership- producing more than 20 rich research studies and reports every year;
- Leader in Education- providing the most comprehensive online university to members of the insured retirement income industry;
- Leading Voice in the Media- garnering more than $7.5 million in positive earned media on behalf of the industry in the past year;
- Leading Advocate for the Industry- successfully advocating for guaranteed lifetime income to the Administration and Congress including developing a summary prospectus for variable annuity products and increasing new product approvals by satisfying burdensome product standards;
- Leading Solution Provider- bringing the industry and solution providers together to fulfill state suitability training requirements and expanding the scope and implementation of IRI's Straight-through Processing Standards and Specifications.
Specific membership information is available for IRI's Insurer, Distributor, Bank, Asset Manager, or Solution Provider memberships. Learn more online or contact IRI member services at (202) 469-3000 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your IRI membership.