What is IRI's Position on Expanding Retirement Savings?
IRI believes in expanding opportunities for Americans to save for retirement by enhancing access to - and features of - workplace retirement plans.
- Require employers to offer retirement plans for workers
- Reform the required minimum distribution (RMD) rule
- Authorize the formation of 403(b) pooled employer plans (PEPS)
- Clarify the eligibility period of the retirement plan start-up tax credit for small employers who join MEPS or PEPS
- Enhance retirement plan features by requiring new plans to offer automatic enrollment and increase automatic contribution rates
- Help employees save for retirement while repaying student loans
- Increase the catch-up contribution limits for baby boomers and allow catch-up contributions for qualified caregivers
- Expand opportunities for military spouses and members of the ready reserve to maximize their retirement savings
- Offer workplace retirement plans to employees of legal cannabis businesses
- Provide opportunities to accumulate or access emergency savings while ensuring retirement savings are maintained
The Federal Retirement Security Blueprint includes common-sense, bipartisan policies to help our nation's workers and retirees achieve economic equity by strengthening their financial security and protecting their income to sustain them throughout their retirement years.